Cold weather and stuck indoors screams order in a pizza and curl on the couch watching old episodes of Dr. Who. But maybe just turning on the oven and baking something is even better.
Anyone with any kitchen proficiency must at one point in time try a Julia child recipe. She is know for her elaborate French cuisine and I was glad to stumble upon a recipe by her that vegetarian (could be made vegan with cheese substitution), low carb and extremely easy to make without ingredients that you cannot pronounce.
I made these today and they were delightful and you wont feel guilty about wolfing down the whole thing.
You will need:
- Large eggplant
- Tomatoes finely chopped
- Green peppers, olives and onion (not included in the original recipe)
- Basil leaves, large about 10
- Dried oregano
- Italian seasoning blend
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Red pepper flakes
- Mozzarella blend- low fat
- Wash eggplant and cut into round slices about an inch thick. Place on a paper towel and salt generously to remove any excess moisture. Takes about 30 minutes to release the moisture
- Add the EVOO to a pan and sauté the chopped garlic and then add in the tomatoes and your dried spices. Oregano and Italian seasoning. And let it cook down to form a thick sauce. Add the other chopped veggies.
- Once the eggplant has lost its moisture, brush with evoo, sprinkle some dried spices on top and let it bake for about 25 minutes at 375
- Remove and add the topping. Fresh chopped basil, the tomatoes sauce you just prepared and cheese.
- Put under broiler until the cheese melts.
In Exercise news, I have completely lost any motivation to wake up and run. I wake up alright, but getting up to go out in this abysmal weather is tough.I am pretty sure that I will not meet my goal for 100mi/month and that annoys me. But apparently not enough to go out. My eating hasn’t been too bad, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.
I am a bit terrified of getting on the scale. I moved my weigh-ins to monday to curb my naughtiness over the weekend. I realized that I am pretty good during the week and all the progress is negated after I weigh-in saturday morning.
The good news is that I finally finished level 1 30-DS. I had to restart after not finishing it over the holidays. It is so monotonous that I have to force myself to go through it. I start level 2 tomorrow and hope the change will reduce the boredom.
have a great weekend everyone 😉