Make your own marinara sauce
The great thing about marinara sauce is that you don’t only have to use it for pasta. It can be used to add falvor to various dishes you make.
The stuff you buy in the store is so full of sugar that you miss the benefits of tomatoes and spices and great olive oil.
This can be made in bulk and stored for use. Ideally you can make it once a month and freeze.
You will need
(Makes 6 cups)
2 cans crushed tomatoes ( you can use fresh tomatoes about 50oz)
I can tomato paste
I large onion
I clove garlic
2 whole bay leaves
I Tbsp. oregano
I Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
Mushrooms, bell peppers (optional)
How to make it
- Dice up onions and garlic and sauté them in olive oil
- Add in the tomatoes, spices and tomato paste. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers
- Simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes
- Add vinegar and let simmer for another 15 minutes ( tir occasionally so sauce does not stick to bottom)
- Once sauce is done, remove the lay leaves and let it cool to room temperature
- Pour in jar and refrigerate
For more make your own https://veggiereader.wordpress.com/make-your-own/