I can’t believe I made it to day seven. No more headaches or cravings and I don’t think I can go back to tea/coffee in the morning. I have identified myself for so long as a coffee junkie that’s its weird even thinking about quitting. So I wont heheheh. Just keep it for when I go out with friends and have to read a huge law review.
I’m weighing in tomorrow despite TOM. Maybe it wont be so bad.
I have never made new years resolutions or if I have, I can’t remember so I must not have done anything about them. Mostly becasue I believe people don’t keep ‘em anyways so why bother?
This year I want it to be different. I am going to write down 13 things I want to get done in 2013 and will do everything in my power to get them done.
I don’t really know whether to call them goals or resolutions or what. I just want to have a target and work towards it. Maybe the reason resolutions fail is that people make them without having a plan that backs them.
I have racked my brain for what I want this coming year to be like and I think I have about
- Work towards finishing law school and with excellent results. This is super important to me. My undergrad was full of last minute studying and putting off schoolwork until the last minute. I made too much time for friends and not enough focus on school. Law school is a different beast. It consumes all your time and you are left with only enough time to sleep and brush your teeth. My friends will have to take a back seat for a while. This doesn’t mean that I wont keep in touch and hang out but it wont be the center of my universe as it was before.
- Volunteer in a community project. I think its been a while since I was politically active. In undergrad I was involved in so many things. The most fun was when I worked with hotel union workers and low wage workers who want to unionize for a better living wage. I need to find something that I can work on for the whole year. Not just volunteer once a month. I need an issue that I am passionate about.
- Run 100 miles every month. This is completely doable without breaking a sweat. No matter how busy I am, I always have at least 30 minutes in the day that I can run.
- Train for two marathons in 2013: I have picked up two races that I want to focus on this year. I am definitely sure that one of them will be a full marathon but I’m still on the fence on whether the second one should be a half. The two races are 4 months apart and so I have enough time to rest and pick up another training session.
- Start running in the rain: I live in a place where it rains. ALWAYS. And I always use rain as an excuse for not going for a run. This year, I plan on going to a sports store and outfitting myself with “a run in the rain” running gear. I Hate envy all those of you who go out there no matter what. I want to be one of you in 2013
- Get to goal weight-wise: I need to get down 10-15 more kgs. I wont obsess over this but I will make sure my actions are working towards this goal.
- Save up money: I have a number in mind andI will work towards it. I want to be completely independent and debt free by the time I am done with school.
- Vacation with my whole family: spend more time with my family and plan a vacation together. Never really done that before because of scheduling conflicts and people living in different parts of the world but its about time. I will take the initiative and even plan it.
- Become fit and healthy: It’s not just about weight loss but I want to change my whole body into an efficient machine. I want to run faster, I want to lift heavier and overall good eating habits. I am toying with the idea of going vegan but cant warp my head around no eggs (at one point I couldn’t warp my head around no meat but I broke through that. I sure the egg thing will pass)
10.Be a better friend: I know I just said that my friends need to take a bit of a back seat until after law school but the limited time I spend with them has to be worth it. I have a tendency to stay out of touch and not really communicate and I’m sure it will lose me friends in the future. There really is no reason why I don’t call back or email, I just procrastinate to the point where it never happens.
- Be a better daughter: My mum has sacrificed a lot for me to be where I am today and I want to make sure that I openly show her how appreciative I am. I plan on doing something special for her a few times during the year.
12. Plant a garden: I always joke I want to be a farmer. I think if I wasn’t a lawyer I would be a farmer but whose to say I cant be both. I want to start growing as much of the food I eat as I can. I definitely have the space and I just need to get down to business and get it done.
13. Maintain my blog: I love having a space where I have to be accountable to and meet new people and hear from people all around the world. My blog also makes me have to think about what I am doing and how innovative I can be. It has made me cook more, create more and be more conscious of myself.
Here is to hoping these don’t fall on the wayside in a few months.