For vegetarians and vegans, we need to get protein mostly from soy.
One thing I make weekly for breakfast is tvp “sausage” patties. On Sundays, I try and make about 10 patties to last me all week. I always eat two every morning with a couple of eggs and some avocado. I like that I have a regular set breakfast that I can make in no time. I know how many calories are in it and don’t have to fret too much in the morning.
Here is my recipe.
-1 cup dry tvp -you can get this at the health store
-1/4 cup wheat flour /or regular all purpose flour.
-3/4 cup hot water
-a couple of table spoons oil.
-1 tsp cummin
– 1 tsp mixed herbs
– a pinch of salt
-go crazy with any spices you like.
– if you like you can add some veggies to give it colour and different flavours. I sometimes add green peppers, onions, shredded carrots and mushrooms.
1. Put the tvp in a bowl and add the spices and salt.
2. Add the hot water and stir. Cover the bowl and let the tvp hydrate for ten minutes.
3. Add the egg and flour and mix
4. Add any veggies (optional)
5. Make sure the mixture can form into patties. If boy add some more flour and eggs.
6. Put a non stick pan on the flame and add some oil. About a tbsp. Or enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
7. Form the mixture into patties and put them in the pan.
8. Cook on both sides for about a minute or until brown.
Makes 8-10 servings
Calories 92, protein 7.3g, net carbs 3.8g,
These are delicious and I try to make varieties by adding different things.